i ♥ damaged characters, dark fairytales, thoughtful meta, lit crit, television, shakespeare.
the symbolism in Allison’s hair/wardrobe
curious about the significance of Allison’s hair, tbh
Here is what I think.
Allison is very much one of those people who tends to morph according to their friends and surroundings. In the pilot, her hair is very natural looking. Slightly wavy but predominately straight, not ornately styled or decorated, very simple. Her own unique style is rather Boho, actually, if you look at the first ep. Her bag, her jacket, etc, aren’t ultra girly like her other outfits in the rest of the show. Around episode three (or even episode two, really) she started morphing to dress and style herself more like Lydia. I think this may have been a subconscious choice to fit in, due to the fact that she was the ~new girl at school and, having been in that position two times myself, it’s entirely possible that traits were borrowed from her first friend in order to put herself at ease. Allison is an independent girl, as we’ve seen these past two episodes, but I’m not convinced she’s always been that way, necessarily. Notice how she deals with with Scott’s crap, most of the time. She’ll get upset about it and occasionally stick up for herself but predominately she internalizes and broods, until these past two eps. So I think it’s very possible that Allison indeed borrowed subconsciously or perhaps even actively borrowed fashion tips and advice from Lydia, because she has a tendency to observe and absorb. Whether she’s absorbing Scott’s fear and paranoia or Gerard’s hate and cruelty, she does soak up the feelings of her companions, and this is true, in my opinion, of Lydia as well.
Now when I say “soak up,” I mean that she takes in what they’re feeling and either rejects or accepts it, but still feels a great deal of turmoil during the process. In “Raving,” when Scott pushed her aside and told her to back off, note how she does nothing. She clearly is pained by this treatment and she takes a moment to inhale it and try to sort it out. Allison is a sorter, and a sponge. She sponges up the energy and emotions around her and then sorts it out inside her head, alone. If you think about it? Allison is a loner. Aside from Lydia, Scott, Stiles, and occasionally Jackson, she really has no one else. She’s frequently alone at school, no one else really seems to talk to her, Jackson was arguably using her (to make Lydia and Scott jealous), Stiles is there by proxy but not by choice, and Scott is her boyfriend. Which leaves Lydia. Now, Lydia and Allison are close, but how close are they, really? They don’t seem to talk about feelings very much and Allison never really has time for Lydia anyway. The only relationship Allison is 100% invested in is Scott, and in a lot of ways, she and Scott are exceptionally similar. Both try to do the “right” thing. The only difference is that Allison is extremely vulnerable right now and has fallen prey to some malicious manipulation.
Wow okay back on topic Lilly um anyway
So, for the majority of the show, Allison has soaked up a lot of Lydia’s characteristics: passivity, introspection, isolation, introversion, and- the point of this whole post- style. Notice that beginning with pretty much the second episode, Allison is styling her hair borderline elaborately, much like Lydia. She’s curling it, braiding it, wearing it up, etc. The reason I assume this is due to Lydia’s influence is because- well, think about it. Logically speaking, the first day of school in any new place is traumatizing. It’s scary and nerve-wracking, especially if you’re a transfer and you have no idea who anyone is. So, following that logic, it would make sense that you’d want to put a lot into your appearance and try to look nice and presentable and extra special the first day, right? Not to an extreme, obviously, but, you know, just nicer than you’d normally look, perhaps. Because first impressions are important and no matter what anyone says, in high school, first impressions start with appearance. So, assuming that, let’s look at Allison’s choice of clothing. She is wearing nice clothes, comfortable clothes, with cute accessories and a nice bag. But her hair is very natural, which suggests to me that the wavy look was her most comfortable go-to hairstyle, and that she felt wearing it down and not doing much to it would look best. Her makeup, also, is very understated and natural, unlike in some later episodes. Then she meets Lydia, who has pretty curly red hair and wears oodles of sparkly makeup, and voila! Allison begins to transition to much the same thing.
Also, notice the parallels between Lydia & Jackson and Scott & Allison. The reason I say Allison soaked up a lot of Lydia’s characteristics is because, in the dynamic between her and Jackson, she is often the underdog. She gets pushed around. She takes it quietly and can’t find it in herself to hate him. And are these patterns not similar to Allison in regard to Scott? Many times Scott has talked down to Allison, even though it comes from a place of love/worry. He knows she can protect herself but he still doesn’t want her involved. He doesn’t understand that she comes from a family where she has no choice but to be involved. He doesn’t really give her the opportunity to be a woman and a fighter. So it can be said that perhaps Allison, too, is an underdog in her relationship with Scott. Anyway, what I mean to say by bringing this up is that this stands, in my mind, as further proof of Allison’s absorption tendency. A tendency which, honestly, I think we all have. But it’s not just manifested in Allison’s personality, it’s manifested in her wardrobe too.
We know from several episodes that Lydia not only shops with Allison but shops for Allison. It leads me to wonder, what say does Allison have in how she presents herself? Obviously she could tell Lydia to stop- but she doesn’t, which is significant. Again, the theme of passivity. Again, the internalizing. So when Allison’s mother dies and she starts throwing everything in her room away, including her clothes and pictures and various baubles and all that, it signifies to me the formal separation of whatever part of herself soaked up Lydia and Scott’s influence. Not only did she completely withdraw inside herself and force out any outside influence, she also took it to the extreme. She straightened her hair, wore all black, gave herself and her room a tabula rasa. She succumbed to the agony inside herself, again without reaching out for help- all within, as we see evidence of when she is alone in her room crying after her mother dies- and now she is “cleansed,” so to speak, of the parts that were never her own to begin with. She assumes the mantle of her family because she is so broken that she doesn’t know how to continue playing both sides. Everything she has done to help Scott help Derek, all the enabling she has participated in with Derek’s pack, trying to protect them and let them survive in peace- as far as she knows all of that is a lie and she, I think, blames herself in part for her mother’s death. And she absolutely cannot handle that. So what does she do? She flushes out every remnant of her friends and her life and focuses on one, single goal: revenge.
We see this take a step further in tonight’s episode. Allison’s wardrobe is still black, not much of a change there, but notice that her hair is completely straight. She’s not only flushed out Lydia and Scott, she has stamped it out and gone completely the reverse. She’s not the same girl they knew anymore, she’s not even the girl she was before she met them. She’s a whole new person, a killing machine perfectly orchestrated and manipulated by the machinations of her grandfather. Allison’s natural tendency to absorb is now present with Gerard, and she takes on his ruthless attitude toward everyone because it is the only thing that makes sense in her world right now, it is the only thing that feels good, that takes away the pain. So we see her transform from Lydia’s style to a hunter’s- to her grandfather’s. Her emotions and personal struggles are so beautifully mirrored in her hair and clothing that I honest to God cannot believe that it isn’t intentional.
Wow omg I just typed that much on hair meta what the hell has this show done to me.
Allison & Jackson as vessels of revenge
I feel like there are actually a lot of parallels between Allison and Jackson.
Both are now turning into vessels of revenge, both ultimately controlled by Gerard. She’s almost as unaware of herself as Jackson, like she’s being swallowed by bloodlust and is letting it control her. Both of them function out of perceived necessity, controlled by a force outside of them. Not saying Allison isn’t responsible for her actions, but when you think about it, she’s not really herself right now. She’s a killing machine. Like Jackson. But contrary to popular belief, I don’t think it’s of her own volition. I think the point to which Gerard has manipulated her literally reconfigured some of her brain chemistry.
She’s a lot like Jackson right now. More in control of herself than he is, but still you gotta think- by how much?
To all the Allison hate:
I feel bad for Allison.
I don’t think she’s fully lucid right now.
Grief can do very terrible things to people, and right now she’s a victim of her own heart- her own need for revenge.
She’s angry and hurt and terrified because her mother is gone. She doesn’t know her mom was trying to kill Scott. She doesn’t know Erica and Boyd ran from Derek’s pack. All she knows is that, somehow, satisfying this urge within her to destroy will make it easier to deal with her mother’s death. And Kate’s, too- she never really processed that, and she claimed that Kate was “more of a best friend than an aunt.” All she knows is that Derek and his kind killed two of her family members, and she’s in an INCREDIBLY vulnerable place right now so she’s falling prey easily to Gerard’s manipulations. Look, all in all, she is a sixteen year old girl who has just lost her mother and with her, much of her reality. She’s losing her mind with grief and Gerard knows exactly how to get to her and twist her to his advantage.
I can’t blame her for what she’s done. I don’t excuse it, but I can at least attempt to understand it. She’s young and broken and part of a world she never really wanted to belong in. But honestly this kind of madness is in her blood.
So the combination of grief, genetics, and expert manipulation = the worst case scenario for Allison. Her plot arch is only barely beginning like this; I think they could go two ways with her. She’s either going to parallel Kate and surrender to her misery and hate, or she’s going to realize what Gerard has done to her and return to Scott and the gang. But I don’t believe they’re going to kill her. It’d be a waste of a fantastic opportunity.
- How I feel about this character: To be honest, I have my ups and downs with Tyrion. I love him on the one hand, but on the other hand I’m annoyed with how much he’s glorified in the ~general fandom, particularly the TV fandom. He’s an awesome character and all, and he’s hilarious, and I find him relatable in a lot of ways, but I’m not as into him as a lot of other people are. I enjoy his chapters but I think there’s too many of them; I’d like there to be a bit more variety than just Jon Jon Jon Tyrion Jon Jon Tyrion Jon chapters aaaaall the time. But other than that, no, I like Tyrion a lot. I respect him for a lot of the things he’s done.
- All the people I ship romantically with this character: Shae, ummm… various prostitutes.
- My non-romantic OTP for this character: Sansa or Cersei.
- My unpopular opinion about this character: Like I just think he’s kind of overrated is all.
- One thing I wish would happen / had happened with this character in canon: I do wish he’d be able to find love. That lasts.
- How I feel about this character: brb sobbing forever because MY FLAWLESS LION QUEEN. Basically, she will be my ultimate favorite (next to Sansa) of the whole series. I’m in love with everything she chooses to be, even though I’m aware 90% of that is pretty fucked up. She’s one of the most incredible and tragic and beautifully written characters ever and I literally am obsessed with her. She’s just. God, I want Cersei everything. I can’t even articulate myself right now.
- All the people I ship romantically with this character: Jaime and Sansa. Yes, that’s it. (With honorable mention to Robert, Rhaegar, and Elia).
- My non-romantic OTP for this character: Tyrion. For obvious reasons. They’re pretty much each other’s equals.
- My unpopular opinion about this character: I’m in love with her I think she’s flawless and I want her to have everything she ever wanted kthxbai.
- One thing I wish would happen / had happened with this character in canon: How about a fifteen book series just from Cersei’s pov chronically her whole life that would be nice I think so yes indeed I would buy it all so so so so so fast and yes I would like that a lot.
- How I feel about this character: No matter what, she will always be my favorite superhero. She is beautiful, strong, complex, fascinating, tragic, and flawless. Her backstory is so intricate and incredible that I find myself reading it over and over and collecting as many of her stand-alone comics (with the Vision) as I can. No one will ever be able to convince me that there is any other superhero better than her. Like, she’s my ultimate ultimate ultimate penultimate role model/obsession/etc. I love her to pieces.
- All the people I ship romantically with this character: Quicksilver, Captain America, Hawkeye, the Vision (kind of… he’s sort of… I mean, he’s a robot lol how am I supposed to feel), Polaris, Black Widow, and Quicksilver again because of reasons.
- My non-romantic OTP for this character: I may put Captain America here again because their banter is just hilarious whether they’re making out or not.
- My unpopular opinion about this character: I just don’t know what she was thinking falling for a robot. Clearly the Vision is just a diversion so that Wanda can go make babies with her twin. ;)
- One thing I wish would happen / had happened with this character in canon: BITCH NEEDS A FUCKING MOVIE. JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE. GET ON IT.
Your brain is a wondrous thing. I feel exactly the same way? I feel like she would almost feel safer this way than in a long, committed relationship. Though, I think she may have a bastard, just so she has an heir so there aren’t any issues later.
/o\ Why thank you. So is yours, I might add! And yeah I agree, I’m sure she may have children and all that (it’d be hard not to), but definitely no long committed thing, exactly. Because she’d feel safer, yep. I don’t think, after all she’s gone through, she’d ever be able to allow herself to get that attached to someone. Almost everyone she’s cared for has been ripped away from her, and that can really destroy a person. She’s still standing, but I have a hard time seeing her learning to love again– at least, love like the kind required to sustain a long marriage. I think the anxiety that she may lose him/her someday would drive her to madness. It’ll be interesting to see how she deals with children, provided she has any.
Oh god, your unpopular opinion is my unpopular opinion /o\ I want her to never marry so she is always in control of her claim, but has lots of consorts.
YUP! That’d be the best. Like, honestly, I feel like she’s gone through so much shit that being able to share herself with someone else is just… impossible. She’s strong, but there’s only so much a human being can take. I want her to have lovers and be as happy as she can be, but I’m not sure any kind of long term thing could be in her future.
- How I feel about this character: Okay well basically Brienne is the most badass bitch ever. I grew up with tales of chivalry and knights and Brienne is so perfectly true to all of them that it hurts. She’s beautiful to me. Her love for Renly was heartbreaking and tragic and dfkhndflknflhndklhdf. Like. I could go on all day about how wonderful she is and ldhndlh. Yes.
- All the people I ship romantically with this character: Catelyn, Sansa, Catelyn, Sansa, Catelyn, Sansa, and Catelyn. ;D
- My non-romantic OTP for this character: Renly.
- My unpopular opinion about this character: I really dislike her with Jaime. Sorry y’all. Lannincest forever.
- One thing I wish would happen / had happened with this character in canon: I hope she becomes Sansa’s white knight.
• How I feel about this character: hlkfdnhklffklnhkldhnkldnhkldfnkldfnhkldfnhlkfdhkldf MY LOVE FOR HER KNOWS NO BOUNDS. No but actually Sansa has been my ultimate favorite character from the very beginning (next to Cersei). She’s one of the best-written characters I’ve ever read and the changes she goes through are pretty incredible. Honestly I think she’s the most resilient character on the show; and severely underrated, too. She’s strong and fierce and has so much Tully in her it warms my heart. I think she’s more Tully than Stark in terms of character, tbh, but I still think know she should will be the queen in the north. Ugh, God, Sansa, I adore her so much it actually hurts. Actual best.
• All the people I ship romantically with this character: Can I say everyone? ‘Cause everyone. But specifically, the Hound (in the messed up way that it SHOULD be shipped), Cersei (I feel like I’m the only one who ships this but God I ship it so hard like you don’t even know), Jon, Robb, Jaime, Brienne, Daenerys, Margaery, the Iron Throne, and Petyr (also in a messed up way).
• My non-romantic OTP for this character: Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Tyrion. They work well together.
• My unpopular opinion about this character: I honestly don’t want to see her married with kids. I want her to have lovers on the side maybe but truly, I want to see her as the Westeros!Elizabeth the First; the queen without a consort who rules alone. Does that make me an asshole? Dx
• One thing I wish would happen / had happened with this character in canon: I just want her to meet Daenerys rlyrly bad that’s all I want aside from her becoming queen.
Hm hm hm. Yeah, I think so. It’s hard NOT to develop little annoyances with people you live with, no matter how much you love them, you know? As I’ve talked about before, I think Red and Snow are so anxious around each other that they wouldn’t make known these pet peeves, but I would imagine they deal with them anyway. Snow would probably be annoyed with how down on herself Red gets (especially after she finds out about being the wolf), and Red is definitely peeved by how much attention Snow gets constantly and how she’s got such a strong martyr complex. So I think with Snow and Red, it’s more over-arching personality traits that annoy them and come out more after spending so much time together.
Buuuut with Mary and Ruby, it’s a bit different. Mary’s jealous and hates that Ruby is so sexual and exhibitionist, and Ruby is very laid back and hates that Mary gets so uptight over every little thing. Ruby’s a bit messier than Mary (who is borderline OCD), so Mary gets upset about that as well. The two of them are on different wavelengths on a lot of menial things, I think, so they clash a lot there. Hmm. Idk!
Suffice it to say they both are convinced they can’t do any better so in SB and FTL they’re very possessive of one another. Mary is more obvious than Ruby, but it’s definitely there for both of them. As for Snow and Red, they’re both pretty discreet I think. But Red gets jealous a lot so if one of them is more possessive it’d be her.
Awww, how cute! Gosh idk, something tells me Snow/Mary prefers to be closer to the door and Red/Ruby to the wall, so wherever that would put them, haha. For some reason I feel like sleeping closer to the wall is more encapsulating and safe, and Red, for one, has never really felt completely safe in all her life, especially when she finds out she’s the wolf. There’s something very comforting about being closed in and snug. I think that Ruby is inherently insecure so this behavior of Red’s transferred to her as well. As for Snow/Mary, they both like to be nearer the door in case they need to do something or get somewhere. Snow’s so used to a life of running that it’s a force of habit to be always ready to move; and with Mary, well, she’s always thinking about waking up first and cooking Ruby breakfast, which is much easier to do if she doesn’t have to climb over her in the morning haha. :)
Idk, those are my thoughts! Sorry I’ve been slow with these lately, I’m a little busy preparing for school to start and all that. Don’t think I’m ignoring you, though! <3 I’m not.
Omfg, YES. It’s incredibly frustrating. People label her as “crazy” or “evil,” and it’s like… her mother was just forced to kill herself because Derek bit her. He did not have have to bite her. She’s raging right now, but rightfully so. She’s not out to get the rest of his pack but if they become collateral damage then too bad. She’s sat around and waited so long in this limbo between the hunters and werewolves and now something has snapped within her because Derek just invited war. Take out a head honcho in the opposite army and you’re inviting a battle- everyone knows that. Derek was simply being emotional and nonsensical because Scott was being threatened and nearly dead, and he didn’t have time to think about the consequences of his actions. Even so, nobody should be surprised that Allison is going to spearhead this mission. Kate’s dead and Victoria’s dead and guess what, that leaves Allison as their leader.
And for what it’s worth, yeah she’s acting more from the “retribution” standpoint in Gerard’s words, but think about it. Derek has formed his own pack by turning three other people, and who’s to say he’ll stop there? Put yourself in the Argent’s shoes. Derek’s a big bad alpha going around turning people rather willy nilly. What does that sound like? It sounds like he’s starting to put together an army. And that scares the shit out of the Argents. And it should. Look, we all label Derek’s motivations toward turning his pack as “altruistic” because he wanted to “offer them better lives.” But look at the facts- he preyed on their weaknesses and seduced them with his power. He went around and said to himself, okay, who’s an underdog? Because it’s easier to convince the underdogs to sell their bodies and souls for the chance to be a topdog. Now, I’m not hating on Derek by all means- God, no, I adore Derek. And I think he really, truly does care for his pack. And for Scott.
And for Stiles. But I’m just analyzing his actions from a removed standpoint, (as I much as I can be removed) as I attempt to analyze Allison’s, and I’m trying to explain why, from the Argent’s point of view, this reckoning needed to happen long before Victoria had to die. All they needed was for Allison to wake up and crown herself queen of their clan, and now that she has, the war can really begin.
At any rate, I sympathize with both Allison and Derek. Allison lost her mother and Derek was just trying to save Scott’s life. Both are or were acting out of the very human instinct to care for someone else. That being said, those who justify Derek’s actions as him just trying to “protect his pack” are being inherently hypocritical when accusing Allison of merely being “insane,” because she too is protecting her pack. Allison and Derek are both alphas now (unless Peter stole back Derek’s alpha powers, which he probably did).
Like, I just… literally cannot fathom how people can hate on Allison for this. Yeah, it makes me antsy that she’s out for Derek and yeah, I’m nervous for Derek, but just because one character I like is out to get another character I like doesn’t mean I have to take a side. Idk.
Suffice it to say I love them both and I don’t want to see either of them hurt. And tbh, I don’t think Derek will die. It may be too obvious at this point for them to kill him off. We know about the character deaths that there are going to be two, and one of which is going to (pardon my poor paraphrase) “really shake things up.” I don’t know about you guys, but Mama Argent’s death really shook things up for me. So the other death? I don’t know. I made a post in which I theorized a bit on that. Idk. But I’m just not convinced it’ll be Derek. He’s gunna be in the line of fire, obviously, but I’m not sure he’ll get hit.
lnfglkndf I’m sorry for ranting. I just. Have a lot of feelings. And I want everyone to get alongggggggg. And stop hating on Allison. :/
I swear to God if I see any more ignorant Allison hate just because she “threatens” the Sterek ship, I will have no other choice than to write a meta essay in which I take painstaking energy to describe why her character arch is flawless and why you should all bow down to the motherfucking queen of the Argent clan.
Sidenote, I don’t think Derek will die. For what it’s worth. Also, I’m not hating on Sterek, I’m just upset about some Derek stans and Sterek shippers ruthlessly attacking a girl who just had her mother killed- without even getting the chance to say goodbye to her, no less.
Mother of God, people, where is the sympathy in this world.
AND ANOTHER THING.
Allison turning dark would be an epic plot twist and incredibly beautiful in terms of the Argent pattern. Chris has a wolfy friend and then he had to turn on him, Kate was motherfucking crazy, and so was Victoria. The women in the Argent clan are the leaders and hey that’s stressful, it’s liable to pull a number on your mental health. Allison may be no exception. I don’t think her turning darker would be a “waste” or “stupid,” as some do. Oy. Look at her family tree. It’s called logic. Not to mention, Scott has been a total asshat to her lately, and when she needs him most he’s never fucking there, or he’s trying to push her away because “oh she’s a helpless girl.” No, bro, no. Allison has been crumbling these past few eps (really this past season if you watch carefully enough), and a change is definitely coming. So. Get over it.
And stop hating on my character; or at least stop tagging your hate. Please.